Friday, April 15, 2011

Recycled Wall Art project


Another UnFinishedObject has been completed.

I must admit I don't really like to rush my projects - especially the ones that I have been creating for our apartment, since these are the ones we will live with for a while. Consequently some projects can take me weeks or even months to complete. Sometimes waiting for the right fabric or buttons or even the right crafty day to come along.  This weekend was one of those days where I was feeling particularly inspired and the weather encouraged me along.  Sunday, was a grey, cool day in Sydney, a travel DVD was playing (Billy Connolly's - Journey to the Edge of the World) , and lots of tea resulted in a very productive day. 

Here is our new piece of wall art:


The inspiration for this piece was the seasons.   My little abstract interpretation of Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring which also celebrates my love for recycled fabrics.   The owlies I have been creating have produced lots of left over bits of fabric and felt which the hoarder side of me cannot bear to throw out.  So I have been collecting them all in a big container, coming in very handy for this project.

The circles measure  45cm and are made of what looks to be pressed grey felt/wool.  I bought these from Reverse Garbage at Marrickville some time last year with a big piece of wall art in mind.   Each season has been hand stitched using embroidery thread in various colours including gold.



I really love how this piece turned out.  More so, I love that I got to use up lots of my scraps of felt and fabric.

2 comments: